Pages

Saturday, May 16, 2015

SOLUTE TO AMERICAN HEROS

 

Holding his military photo close to their hearts, Terri and Ron Norgren say Chris exceeded all of their expectations as a son.
"My son is my hero," Terri said. "He is with me now and he always will be."
The Norgrens spoke proudly about Chris' achievements, most notably, learning how to fly despite vision problems. During his time in the Marines, they say Chris saved up enough money for corrective eye surgery.
"The Marine Corps had never had a pilot who had served on the ground before," Ron said. "So they were excited to get him into training and use him that way."
Chris was deployed to Nepal when the first quake hit. He used his skills to pilot choppers headed to some of the most devastated regions.
"He was doing what he needed to do," Terri said.
"He loved to fly and he loved to help people," Ron said.
Although Chris' life was cut short, Terri and Ron say he lived every moment during his 31 years to the fullest, inspiring others with his compassion to do the same.
"The biggest thing I'm going to miss from him were his hugs," Ron said, smiling. "He was a tall man. He was 6"4'. I am barely 5"6' so he dwarfed me. "When he would lean down, I'm gonna miss those hugs. I really really am."

The parents of Chris Norgren, a captain in the U.S. Marine Corps and Wichita native whose helicopter was found crashed in Nepal, held a press conference in their home Friday afternoon to speak about their son.
Ron and Terri Norgren say there is no confirmation yet that Chris died in the crash, but it "doesn't look good."
The UH-1Y Huey helicopter was spotted in the Gorthali area, at an altitude of 11,200 feet. Three bodies were discovered in the burned wreckage of the helicopter, which was delivering aid to earthquake survivors.
Chris' parents call him a hero, saying he loved what he did and loved to help people.



Wichita mother Terri Norgren got flowers from her military son for Mother’s Day last Sunday. The day after, the helicopter he was piloting went missing in Nepal. They tell KAKE News they want more done to find their only son, Chris. After three days of no updates, the Norgrens were finally on the phone with someone who may be able to help, Kansas Senator Pat Roberts.
The Norgrens asked the senator to push night vision and heat sensor equipment to be brought in. And in addition to the air search, they want searchers put on the ground.
“From that high up, with that terrain, how are you going to see the helicopters through that?” Terri Norgren asked.
“It will be a 24/7 effort until I am satisfied that I have some answers, Senator Roberts said. “I can get back to these folks.”
Chris is truly a Wichitan. He’s an aeronautical engineer who has worked at all three aircraft companies, graduated from Bishop Carroll high school and, later on, would be assistant coach for the football team there.
The last time his mother and father communicated with him was last Sunday.
“I thanked him for recognizing his mother on Mother’s Day,” Ron Norgren said, “stating that I was very proud of him that he was in Nepal and also remembered Mother’s Day. He said, ‘Thanks, Pops.’”
The next day came word that the helicopter he was piloting was missing.
I love you,” Terri Norgren said. “I believe in you. I am proud of what you are doing. You have helped so many people there, Chris, and I know you are ready to come home.”
Oh, son, I love you. “I want you to come home safe and bring your men home,” Ron said. “I think the whole town of Wichita is waiting for him to come home.”
Ron says they do have food and tarps on the helicopter, so they can build shelter and eat. But he worries those can only last so long.
Terri says she is encouraged that Senator Roberts told them that he is a former marine, and marines are taught to never leave anybody behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment